6 benefits of an electronic visitor management system
by Paul Kazlauskas
Electronic visitor management systems are used to sign-in and track visitors who come to visit a facility. They are the electronic version of the traditional visitor sign-in book. There are numerous benefits to having an electronic visitor management system over a manual visitor sign-in book.
1. Accuracy. Visitor information is recorded more uniformly and correctly than with a visitor log book. Since a receptionist is either typing in the information or a driver’s license/business card is being scanned, the data will be entered in the same accurate way for every visitor.
2. Reporting. That visitor information is stored in a computer database, which allows the ability to search, sort, analyze, and retrieve visitor data for any given time frame. Visitor activity reports can be generated. These reports can be used to tell how many times a visitor signed-in, signed-out, who they were there to see, etc. That information is critical during security investigations or to audit billings of vendors and contractors. In the case of an evacuation, the reports can tell you which visitors were present at the time of the emergency.
3. Speed of sign-in. A driver’s license reader or business card scanner will shorten the time it takes to sign a visitor in. A quick scan of either card is all it takes to collect the necessary information to record their visit to the facility.
4. Pre-registration. If you know a particular visitor is coming in for a meeting, their information can be added to the system ahead of time (pre-registration), which speeds up the sign-in process when the visitor actually arrives.
5. Add a photo. Perfectly legible visitor badges are quickly printed. If a camera is in use, a photo can be added to the badge for further identification while your visitor is the facility. Electronic visitor management system photos can also be used in investigating security breaches, even used to compare with security camera footage to further identify any person.
6. Returning visitors are recognized immediately. All visitor information is saved in the electronic visitor management system. This allows returning visitors to be signed in with very little time or effort because the system remembers them. If a returning visitor was a security problem in the past, the Security Department can be alerted instantly.
Want the latest, best security practices delivered straight to your inbox? Enter your email address in the "Subscribe" area (on the left side navigation).
Our visitor badges “VOID” overnight to prevent reuse.
See them for yourself — request free samples!
Posted on 2/4/2016